Child Marriage in The Vedas
📖Gautama Dharmasutra 18: 21-22
He who neglects the marriage of girls before her menstruation commits sin.
📖Padma Purana Section 6 – Uttara-Khaṇḍa 2-15 A man should marry his daughter as long as she has not attained puberty. Wise men recommend a girl’s marriage when she is eight years old.
- Reference: Padma Purana Section 6 – Uttara-Khaṇḍa 2-15
📖Skanda Purana 2:30-8-9
The bow of Īśvara that was kept in the abode of Janaka, was broken. In his fifteenth year, O king, Rāma married the six-year old beautiful daughter of the king of Mithilā, Sītā who was not born of a womb. On getting Sītā, Rāghava became contented and happy.
- Ram married Sita when Sita was 6 years old & sita did not emerged from a mothers’s womb, rather she appeared miraculously, And Ram was 12 or 18 years old when he married Sita.
- Reference : Skanda Purana 2:30-8-9
📖Devi Bhagavata Purana 3:40
My daughter has come to a marriageable age; I have no money. Her age has exceeded ten years; the marriageable age limit has been exceeded. Alas! What am I to do?
- Reference : Devi Bhagavata Purana 3:40
📖Manusmriti Verse 9.94
A man thirty years old shall marry a charming maiden twelve years old; or one twenty four years old, a damsel eight years old; in the event of his duties suffering, he may do it sooner.
- Reference ; Manusmriti Verse 9.94
A person of thirty years of age should wed a girl of ten years of age called a Nagnika. Or, a person of one and twenty years of age should wed a girl of seven years of age.
- Reference : Mahabharata13.44.13
One shall give his daughter in the proper form, even though she may not have attained (the age), to a bridegroom who is of exceptionally distinguished appearance, and her equal
Study the following stats carefully:
- Nearly 12 million Indian children were married before the age of 10 years — 84% of the Hindu and 11% Muslim — reveals an IndiaSpend analysis of recently released.
- Reference 84% Of 12 mn married children under 10 are Hindus (Special to IANS)