📖Sahih Muslim 2475 b
Jarir reported: Since I embraced Islam Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) never refused to see me and he did not see me but with a smile on his face. Ibn Numair has made this addition to this hadith which has been reported on the authority of Ibn Idris that he (Jarir) made this complaint to him (to the Holy Prophet): I cannot sit upon the horse with firmness, whereupon he (Allah’s Apostle) struck his chest with his hand and prayed: O Allah, make him steadfast and rightly-guided.
From this hadith, we can learn several valuable lessons about the character of Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) and its relevance in today’s world:
- Accessibility and Approachability: The Prophet (ﷺ) never refused to see anyone who sought to meet him after embracing Islam. This teaches us the importance of being accessible and approachable to others, showing kindness and openness to those who seek our company or guidance.
- Welcoming with a Smile: The Prophet (ﷺ) would always greet people with a smile on his face. This highlights the significance of a warm and friendly demeanor in our interactions with others. A simple smile can make someone feel welcomed, valued, and at ease.
- Compassion and Empathy: When Jarir expressed his physical difficulty, the Prophet (ﷺ) responded with empathy and concern. He struck his chest and supplicated to Allah for Jarir’s steadfastness and guidance. This teaches us the importance of showing compassion and care towards others, both in their physical and spiritual well-being.
- Prayer and Supplication: The Prophet’s immediate response to Jarir’s complaint was to turn to Allah in prayer. This reminds us of the power of supplication and seeking Allah’s help in times of difficulty. It encourages us to cultivate a strong connection with our Creator and rely on Him for guidance and support.
- Supporting and Strengthening Others: The Prophet (ﷺ) actively sought to help and strengthen Jarir by invoking Allah’s blessings upon him. This teaches us the importance of supporting and uplifting one another in times of struggle. We should strive to be a source of encouragement, praying for the well-being and guidance of our fellow believers.
- Perseverance and Steadfastness: The Prophet’s prayer for Jarir’s steadfastness reflects the significance of remaining firm and unwavering in our faith and commitment to Islam. It reminds us to seek strength and guidance from Allah to overcome challenges and maintain our dedication to the path of righteousness.
Overall, this hadith reminds us of the Prophet Muhammad’s (ﷺ) compassionate and caring nature, his approachability, and his reliance on Allah in all matters. It teaches us to embody these qualities in our interactions with others, to support and strengthen one another, and to seek Allah’s guidance and assistance in our lives.