And, after that, He spread out the earth.
- The phrase “دَحَىٰهَآ” in this context can be understood as “extending its surface” or “spreading it out.” It conveys the idea of the Earth’s expansion and the stretching of its surface. This verse from the Quran highlights the power and capability of God in shaping and extending the Earth’s surface after its initial creation.
And Allah has made for you the earth an expanse.
- According to Quran 71:19, Allah has made the Earth an expanse for human beings. From a scientific perspective, this verse can be understood to highlight the vastness and expansiveness of the Earth, which is indeed true. The Earth has a large surface area, with continents and oceans covering its expanse. It is a planet that provides a wide range of habitats and resources for human beings to thrive and build civilizations.
And the earth – We spread it out and cast therein firmly set mountains and made grow therein [something] of every beautiful kind.
- This verse is a reference to the creation of the earth by Allah. The earth is described as having been spread out, with mountains placed on it to provide stability, and with a variety of beautiful plants and other growths produced thereon.
Ask ˹them, O Prophet˺, “How can you disbelieve in the One Who created the earth in two Days? And how can you set up equals with Him? That is the Lord of all worlds.
- The Arabic term “يَوْمَيْنِ” can be translated as “two periods” or “two days.” This verse emphasizes the act of creation by Allah and questions the disbelievers’ inclination to associate partners with Him. The reference to “two periods or two days” in this verse does not provide specific numerical values for the duration. However, within the Islamic belief system, it is acknowledged that the concept of time in heaven is distinct from earthly time. Quranic verses such as Surah Al-Hajj (22:47) and Surah Al-Ma’arij (70:4) allude to the idea that the perception and measurement of time in the divine realm differ from our earthly understanding.
He placed on the earth firm mountains, standing high, showered His blessings upon it, and ordained ˹all˺ its means of sustenance—totaling four Days exactly (These four Days include the first two Quran 41:9, so the total period of creation is six heavenly Days.) —for all who ask.
˹He is the One˺ Who has laid out the earth for ˹all of˺ you, and set in it pathways for you, and sends down rain from the sky, causing various types of plants to grow.
- In Quran 20:53, when it says “laid out the earth,” it means that Allah has designed and prepared the earth in a way that is suitable and accommodating for all of humanity. It refers to the intricate planning and arrangement of the earth’s features and resources to fulfill the needs of living beings. This includes the establishment of pathways or means of transportation and communication, as well as the provision of rain from the sky, which nourishes the earth and allows a diverse range of plants to grow.
And you see the mountains, thinking them rigid, while they will pass as the passing of clouds. [It is] the work of Allah , who perfected all things. Indeed, He is Acquainted with that which you do.
He created the heavens and earth in truth. He wraps the night over the day and wraps the day over the night and has subjected the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. Unquestionably, He is the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver.
- According to these Quranic verses 27:88 & 39:5, the Earth is described as round. In the hypothetical scenario where the Earth is believed to be flat, it is commonly assumed to be stationary and unchanging. In such models, the Earth’s surface is considered fixed and immovable, and mountains are seen as permanent features. The movement of tectonic plates and the geological processes that shape mountains, as understood in mainstream science, would typically not be incorporated into these flat Earth models. Additionally, the movement of the sun and the moon, as observed in mainstream science, would not be accounted for in flat Earth models, which often propose circular paths or other mechanisms for their motion above the Earth’s surface.
And it is He who spread the earth and placed therein firmly set mountains and rivers; and from all of the fruits He made therein two mates; He causes the night to cover the day. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.
Have We not made the earth a Restplace, Of the living and the dead? And We placed therein lofty, firmly set mountains and have given you to drink sweet water.
- The verse Quran 77:25-27, refers to the Earth as a resting place for humans and animals. It emphasizes that the Earth provides a stable and suitable habitat for living beings to reside and find sustenance.
I swear by the sky that rains, and the earth that cracks open (for plants) –
- The mention of the earth splitting open refers to the miraculous process of plants sprouting from the ground as a result of rainfall. It symbolizes the power and abundance of God’s creation, where the seemingly lifeless earth bursts forth with life and sustenance. It is a poetic expression emphasizing the blessings and provisions bestowed upon humanity by God through natural phenomena such as rain and the growth of vegetation.
He has created the skies without the pillars that you may see, and placed mountains on the earth, lest it shakes with you, and spread over it all kinds of creatures. And We sent down water from the heavens, and caused to grow in it every noble pair.
- The term “skies” in the Quran refers to the celestial expanse, including the atmosphere and the celestial bodies. It represents the vastness and beauty of the cosmic realm, acknowledging Allah’s creation. It can also refer to anything above the Earth’s surface, encompassing the atmosphere, celestial objects, and elevated regions. It emphasizes the vertical dimension of creation.
Reference: What is Sky – Wikipedia
Have We not made the earth a resting place? And the mountains as pegs
- The verse describes the earth as a resting place for humans and all living beings, and the mountains as pegs that anchor the earth and provide stability.
Which is harder to create: you or the sky? (This is from a human perspective. Otherwise, both the creation of the universe and the) resurrection of humans are easy for Allah. He built it, raising it high and forming it flawlessly. He dimmed its night, and brought forth its daylight. As for the earth, He spread it out as well, bringing forth its water and pastures, and setting the mountains firmly ˹upon it, all as ˹a means of˺ sustenance for you and your animals.
- The word “sky” or “heaven” in this context refers to the celestial realm, the vast expanse above the Earth that encompasses the atmosphere, stars, planets, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. It signifies the magnificence and complexity of the universe as a whole., In Islamic theology, the concept of ‘heavenly days’ refers to a unit of time that is different from earthly days. The Quran mentions that Allah created the universe in six ‘heavenly days’ (ayyam), which is understood to be a metaphorical representation of a divine timescale rather than a literal period of 24-hour days.
And Allah has made for you, from that which He has created, shadows and has made for you from the mountains, shelters and has made for you garments which protect you from the heat and garments which protect you from your [enemy in] battle. Thus does He complete His favor upon you that you might submit [to Him].
O company of jinn and mankind, if you are able to pass beyond the regions of the heavens and the earth, then pass. You will not pass except by authority from Allah.
- This verse Quran 55:33 refers to the Earth being round and implies that no one can pass beyond its boundaries without Allah’s permission. It highlights the need for divine authority to transcend the regions of the heavens and the Earth, suggesting that there are limits or boundaries that cannot be surpassed without Allah’s authorization. This understanding aligns with the scientific consensus that the Earth is an oblate spheroid with defined boundaries.
Thus verses from the Qur’an suggest that the Earth is round, but they do not explicitly mention its exact shape. While the Qur’an contains references that imply the Earth’s roundness, it does not provide a detailed description or explicitly state its shape.
Releted: The Shape of the Earth in Quran
The Earth will become a flat plain on the Day of Judgment
|Flat Plain||A flat and level area of land without significant hills, mountains, or obstructions.|
And [warn of] the Day when We will remove the mountains and you will see the earth prominent, and We will gather them and not leave behind from them anyone.
📖Quran 20:105 – 107
And they ask you about the mountains, so say, “My Lord will blow them away with a blast – And He will leave the earth a level plain;
📖Quran 69:13 – 15
Then when the Horn is blown with one blast – And the earth and the mountains are lifted and leveled with one blow – Then on that Day, the Resurrection will occur.
📖Quran 56:2 -6
There is, at its occurrence, no denial, It will bring down [some] and raise up [others], When the earth is shaken with convulsion, And the mountains are broken down, crumbling, And become dust dispersing.
But those who disbelieve are in [persistent] denial
For they had denied the truth when it came to them, but the news of what they used to ridicule is going to reach them –
And when the earth has been extended – And has cast out that within it and relinquished [it], And has responded to its Lord and was obligated [to do so].
📖Quran 52:10 -12
And the mountains will pass on, departing -. Then woe, that Day, to the deniers, Who are in [empty] discourse amusing themselves.
And when Our verses are recited to them, they say, “We have heard. If we willed, we could say [something] like this. This is not but legends of the former peoples.
No! When the earth has been leveled – pounded and crushed.
Those are the ones who will have lost themselves, and lost from them is what they used to invent.
📖Quran 88:20 – 22
And at the earth – how it is spread out? So remind, [O Muhammad]; you are only a reminder, You are not over them a controller.
And already were messengers ridiculed before you, but those who mocked them were enveloped by what they used to ridicule.
And We place the scales of justice for the Day of Resurrection, so no soul will be treated unjustly at all. And if there is [even] the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it forth. And sufficient are We as accountant.
[It will be] on the Day the earth will be replaced by another earth, and the heavens [as well], and all creatures will come out before Allah , the One, the Prevailing, And you will see the criminals that Day bound together in shackles – Their garments of liquid pitch and their faces covered by the Fire, So that Allah will recompense every soul for what it earned. Indeed, Allah is swift in account.
This [Qur’an] is notification for the people that they may be warned thereby and that they may know that He is but one God and that those of understanding will be reminded.
Flat four corners Earth in the Bible
📖Revelation 7:1 and 20:8
The phrase” the four corners of the earth” is used, Therefore, the earth MUST be flat like a sheet of paper because it has four corners!
And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
And will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.
Earth is immovable in the Bible
New International Version
He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved..
📖1 Chronicles 16:30
Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved.
- According to scientific understanding, in a flat Earth model, the Earth would be considered stationary or immobile. This means that it would not exhibit the rotation that we observe in reality, and the concept of Earth’s rotation, which is responsible for phenomena like day and night, would not apply in this framework.
The Qur’an does not explicitly state the shape of the earth. However, some verses in the Qur’an are referring to a spherical earth. The Qur’an’s primary focus is on spiritual and moral teachings, rather than scientific or cosmological questions.