📖Sahih al-Bukhari 4625
Narrated Ibn `Abbas: Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) delivered a sermon and said, “O people! You will be gathered before Allah barefooted, naked and not circumcised.” Then (quoting Qur’an) he said:– “As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it. A promise We have undertaken: Truly we shall do it..” (21.104) The Prophet (ﷺ) then said, “The first of the human beings to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection, will be Abraham. Lo! Some men from my followers will be brought and then (the angels) will drive them to the left side (Hell-Fire). I will say. ‘O my Lord! (They are) my companions!’ Then a reply will come (from Almighty), ‘You do not know what they did after you.’ I will say as the pious slave (the Prophet (ﷺ) Jesus) said: And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them. When You took me up. You were the Watcher over them and You are a Witness to all things.’ (5.117) Then it will be said, “These people have continued to be apostates since you left them.”
This hadith from Sahih al-Bukhari, narrated by Ibn `Abbas, contains a sermon delivered by Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) regarding the Day of Resurrection. Here are some points that can be understood from this hadith:
- The gathering before Allah: The hadith mentions that on the Day of Resurrection, all people will be gathered before Allah. They will be barefooted, naked, and uncircumcised, emphasizing the equality and humbleness of all individuals before their Creator.
- The repetition of creation: The Prophet quotes a verse from the Quran (21:104) that speaks about the repetition of creation. This indicates that just as Allah initiated the first creation, He has the power to recreate and resurrect humanity.
- Abraham being dressed first: The hadith states that the first person to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection will be the Prophet Abraham (peace be upon him). This may imply that the righteous and the prophets will be given special honor and distinction on that day.
- Some followers being driven to Hell: The hadith mentions that there will be individuals from the Prophet’s followers who will be taken by the angels and driven to the left side, symbolizing their entrance into Hell-Fire. The Prophet will intercede on their behalf, but he will be informed that they had apostatized after his departure.
- Jesus’ testimony: The hadith quotes Jesus (peace be upon him) saying that he was a witness over his people while he lived among them, but after he was raised by Allah, He became the Watcher and Witness over them. This highlights the accountability of individuals for their own actions.
Overall, this hadith emphasizes the concept of accountability on the Day of Resurrection and the individual responsibility for one’s faith and actions. It also highlights the importance of remaining steadfast in one’s beliefs and actions throughout one’s life.