All stars and planets have orbits
it is a scientific fact that all objects in the universe, including stars and planets, have orbits. The orbits of celestial bodies are determined by the gravitational forces acting on them. In the Quran, there are several verses that mention the orbits of celestial objects, including the sun and moon.
Releted: The death of the Sun And Stars Mentioned in Quran
And it is He who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all [heavenly bodies] in an orbit are swimming.
And He is the One Who created the day and the night, the sun and the moon—each travelling in an orbit.
It is not for the sun to catch up with the moon,1 nor does the night outrun the day. Each is travelling in an orbit of their own.
- The Sun orbits the center of the Milky Way, bringing with it the planets, asteroids, comets, and other objects in our solar system. Our solar system is moving with an average velocity of 450,000 miles per hour (720,000 kilometers per hour). But even at this speed, it takes about 225-250 million years for the Sun to make one complete trip around the Milky Way.
Reference : The Sun orbits the center of the Milky Way
- The moon orbits the Earth once every 27.322 days. It also takes approximately 27 days for the moon to rotate once on its axis.
Reference : Does the moon rotate
He created the heavens and earth in truth. He wraps the night over the day and wraps the day over the night and has subjected the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. Unquestionably, He is the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver.
- The passage “the sun and the moon”, It is scientifically accurate the Sun and the Moon run their courses for a specified term. The Sun and the Moon have their own respective orbits and revolve around the center of the galaxy, completing their orbits in a specific amount of time. The Sun takes about 225-250 million years to complete one orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy, while the Moon takes about 27.3 days to complete one orbit around the Earth. The movements of the Sun and the Moon are predictable and follow a regular pattern, which is why we can accurately predict astronomical events such as eclipses. The Quran acknowledges this regularity and predictability in the movements of celestial bodies, and emphasizes the power and wisdom of God who created and controls them.
- Reference: The sun takes approximately 225-250 million years to complete one journey
- Reference : Speed of the Sun
- Reference: Orbit and Phases of the Moon
The sun travels for its fixed term. That is the design of the Almighty, All-Knowing.
- This verse refer about the movement of the sun in its fixed term, which is consistent with the scientific understanding of the sun’s movement in the Milky Way galaxy. The concept of the “solar apex” is also related to the motion of the sun, as it refers to the direction towards which the sun and our solar system are moving in the Milky Way.
Reference : Solar apex
In terms of the relationship between Islam and science, it is important to note that Islam encourages the pursuit of knowledge and understanding, including scientific knowledge. However, Islam also teaches that ultimate truth and understanding come from God and can be found through revelation and spiritual enlightenment. As such, while science can provide valuable insights and understanding of the natural world, it is not seen as the sole source of truth or knowledge in Islam.